MEXICAN CHICKEN RICE & BEAN BAKE
Chef Skelton takes you across the globe to discover a Mexican dish for your next family dinner.
Make sure to follow @wests_eats on Instagram where we share tastes and sensations from all over the world to surprise and excite you.
Mexican Chicken Rice & Bean Bake
Mexican Spice Ingredients
- 1 tbsp garlic powder (or 2 garlic cloves, minced)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (Note 1), optional
- Black pepper
- 5 chicken thigh fillets, bone-in and skin on (notes 2 and 3)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime (juice only)
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced (or 1/2 large)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked (note 4)
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth (or vegetable stock)
- 3/4 cup tomato puree or passata (note 5)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (or canned - drained)
- 1 can (400g/6oz) black beans, drained and rinsed (or sub with red kidney beans)
- 1 lime, plus extra to serve
- sliced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Combine the Mexican Spice Mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub Chicken: Place 2 tbsp of the Mexican Spice Mix in a small bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil and lime juice. Mix to combine. Use your hands to slather the Mexican Spice Mix all over each piece of chicken.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a deep skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken in batches for 2 minutes or until browned, then cook the other side for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove chicken onto a plate.
- In the same skillet, still over medium high heat, add the onion, garlic and capsicum Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion and capsicum start to brown. These will get covered in the brown bits stuck to the fry pan from searing the chicken (adds flavour and colour to the rice).
- Turn the stove down to medium, then add the rice. Stir to coat the rice grains with the onion mixture and oil.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato puree/passata, corn, beans and remaining Mexican Spice Mix. Stir to combine.
- Place chicken back in the skillet on top of the rice, skin side up. It should be partially submerged in the liquid but most of the skin should be above the liquid.
- Bring to simmer, then turn off the stove. Cover the skillet with a lid or foil and place into the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and take off the lid/foil.
- Return the skillet to the oven, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes until only small puddles of liquid remain on the surface of the rice. This step allows the chicken skin to crisp up and the remaining liquid in the rice to largely evaporate.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes (uncovered). Any remaining liquid will evaporate in this step.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the chicken and rice.
- Serve, garnished with coriander/cilantro leaves, extra lime wedges and sliced jalapeños, if desired. Sour cream and yoghurt also goes well with this. Enjoy :-)