HEALTHY RED WINE BEEF PIE W/ OLIVE OIL MASH
This gluten-free recipe is simmered slowly to perfection using beef, rich red wine and thyme before topped with a silky smooth olive oil mash.
Make sure to follow @wests_eats on Instagram where we share tastes and sensations from all over the world to surprise and excite you.
Healthy Red Wine Beef Pie w/ Olive Oil Mash
- 1 kg Rump or Chuck Beef
- 2 Onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sliced carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 sliced leek (halved lengthwise)
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 500ml red wine of your choice
- 450 Swiss brown mushroom
- 1 handull of parsley
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Different herbs and spices (oregano, basic, paprika)
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy based saucepan over a medium/high heat and brown the beef in batches to ensure a lovely colour and flavour. Remove the beef and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add the vegetables, onions, carrot, celery, leek and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef back into the vegetables and pour in the red wine, allow it to boil for 3 minutes then add in the bay leaves, water and thyme.
- Cover with a lid reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ - 2 hours until soft and tender.
- Steam the additional carrots until soft and puree them with a little water until smooth.
- Add half a cup of carrot puree to the beef pie mixture and fold through to thicken. Add the rest of the carrot puree if required.
- Season with a little sea salt and white pepper before sautéing the mushrooms with a generous knob of butter and some olive oil until golden and add a few handfuls of parsley.
- Fold the mushrooms through the beef pie.
- Divide into serving dishes or ramakins and prepare the olive oil mash as per instructions below.
- Top the pies with the olive oil mash and serve immediately, alternatively
- Bake pies in a hot oven until the mash is golden and crisp on top.
- Serve pies with a side salad or peas, caramelised onion and tomato relish.